Im 5 months deep on an adventure through Africa. Here's some of what's in my head....

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Update on my travels:

Hey all,
I left the States a few weeks ago for Cairo via stops in NYC and Paris. The trip was smooth and Cairo nite air found me with a driver and a car waiting to take me to Shereef's parents when I arrived. They got me a hotel room nearby and I was able to get a good nights sleep. The next day I woke early and watched the sun rise over half finished buildings. I arrived during the last week of Ramadan, the month long fast for the Muslims, so there was a special buzz in the air. A few hours later I was on a bus to Sinai. Six hours of sitting left my ass sore but I could barely contain myself as we got close to the Red Sea. I was so excited that I left my ukelele on the bus. Guess it wasnt meant to be on this trip.

When I arrived at my destination, a small bamboo hut and a young Bedouin (Bedouin is to the Middle East as Native American is to the States) man awaited my arrival. I had 5 days to myself before my friend Hany arrived. The peace and quiet was so delightful. After a few days of solice my friend arrived just in time for the post Ramadan holiday. People from Cairo came out to the sea for holiday and the past week was spent helping Hany make the guests comfortable.

The land Im staying on is the land Ive been planning to develop for the past year. I have yet to start building up the retreat because there has been drama in regards to the land ownership. I cant tell you how wild it is to sit in the candle light with Bedouin men dressed in white robes as we drink tea and watch them argue the land rights. Im certainly in a different world.

In one weeks time we are planning to head for the desert where hidden villages await. We will make our way to the Mediterranean sea and then back to Cairo. At this point I will most likely head South for Africa is calling. I will write soon.

-J

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing that we will be able to hear about your journey this way. I look forward to more and to pictures, too! And though you are in the desert, let the water flow whichever way it will go...peace to you friend.

    ReplyDelete